Okay, so two months ago, our guild
issued a "make it modern" challenge: Take a traditional block and put a modern spin on it.
Due date was this past Sunday. As of Friday at midnight, I had bupkis. Blargh!!! (I almost sent a strongly worded email to the demon-seed whose cockamamie idea this was before I remembered it was me and Jaclyn. Oops!)
I had been tossed around the idea of a snail's trail, only curved, and no amount of sketching or logic could make that happen for me. But I do love me a log cabin so Saturday morning, I started to play.
So I cut out some rounded squares using the Quick Curve ruler, and then went to town, log cabin style, demolishing some leftover charm squares. I tried for a little while (okay, just twice) to do evenly measured, precise curves but ultimately just improv'd them using the ruler as a guide, not centring or measuring. It was more fun that way.
And then I had pods. Oooo-oooh! What to do with those? Join them together or isolate them?**
One lightning fast trip to the quilt shop for a yard of shot cotton later (seriously, I didn't even put on makeup...), and I was back to the machine, trimming out the blocks.
Hmmm. Nope, not done yet. Not modern enough.
Back, baste, echo, bind. One finished wall-hanging. Finished in time for the challenge deadline.
|About 24" square. Or two feet. Heehee.|
I love it when a not-a-plan comes together! I had a "yeah, I'm awesome" moment before I scorched a piece of fabric and remembered I'm human. :-) I'm really happy with how it turned out - totally surprised myself and may be permanently over my fear of curves. Also, starch is the bomb.
So, if you get lost on your way to a project, change where it is you want to go. :-)
**The name of the piece occurred to me at this moment which also made me isolate them instead of joining. I heard my nerd voice say, "Open the pod bay doors, HAL." Of course, Dave... Hey, I've never claimed to be normal. :-)