Friday, October 19, 2012

Playing with Fabric

This post is a few days behind schedule. Good intentions, blah, blah, shift in weather, blah, blah...
Firstly, this is what happens when you get fabric by mail and your nephew is handy.  He tears into the packages, is fascinated by a charm pack and the two of you make it rain patchwork for twenty minutes of pure fun. Regardless of whether the fabric ends up in anything, I've got my money's worth.  But now, all of Seester's quilt fabric has arrived.

I've got it separated in to darkish-lightish.

Secondly, I went to my first guild meeting on Monday and was pleased to finally meet a blog friend of mine - Flo, of Butterfly Quilting! Very exciting and fun! (Ps - she's a good hugger. :-)

The guild gave me homework.  I have to make a name tag/signature block to wear at meetings. We're allowed to use the block provided or to use our own fabric, as long as we stick to the format.  So, as I have been delighting a tiny piecing lately, I grabbed my crumb bag and my rotary cutter and went to town.  I haven't been able to sew them together yet but here's the preview of the top pieces and the back.

The squares are 1" so they will shrink up by half once the seams are sewn.  I know it seems like a lot of work, and it kinda is, but it mostly isn't. It's also gosh-darn fun and oddly satisfying. Order from chaos!  I whittled an entire  XL ziplock of scraps down to a series of 1", 1 1/2", 2" and 2 1/2" squares was pretty satisfying, too.  I have a really great stash of little squares coming along. Potential is brewing!  My scrap pile is getting smaller, too.

Speaking of guilds, people are talking of starting up a modern quilt guild in town here and I'm so excited I could squeal a little bit.  In fact, I did.  A little bit.  So, yeah, I'm all over that!  You can read more about it here.  PS - Periwinkle Quilting is my local and I love it there.

Okay, I've got get another Diet Coke.


7 comments:

  1. If only fabric actually rained down on us. :)

    I just started going to our newly formed Nanaimo Modern Quilt Guild - have only been to one meeting so far and it was small but great! Fun to meet other people who like to do what I like to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your name tag will be the talk of the guild ! LOL!
    I love playing with little scraps too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! The thought of whittling my scraps down fills me with joy - alas, the piles still sit there. See those two scraps of blue daisies with brown dots? Is that a remnant from me from the big quilt? If not, cool coincidence because I used that fabric and have scraps. Here was my project: http://cafejabbaccino.blogspot.ca/2010/06/gardening-apron.html

    You Seester is so lucky - that quilt is going to be so gorgeous!!! Man, I've got the craft bug these days, it must be the fall weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is pretty much what my craft room looks like 50% of the time. The colors you picked are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. must have been great fun for the nephew and you too. the colors for the quilt look really nice too,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Those are tiny squares! Can't wait to see what the quilt you make with all that beautiful fabric...

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those ARE tiny squares. I wish I would have been there to hear you squeal...

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love comments? I appreciate every single one and try to reply to each. Unless you're a no-reply commenter. Then I can't. And I have a little sad moment. Like a dropped ice cream cone. So if you're a no-reply commenter and have a question, check the comment thread and I'll try to reply there. :-)