It was begun in January 2010. Yes, 2010, shortly after I received the kit for Christmas. I'm not a kit person but I absolutely loved this pattern and couldn't not do it exactly the way it was. The trees float off the back, which is even more prominent now that it's quilted and washed.
I finished the top in February of 2010.
It waited until August of 2011 when I started the quilting. And I hated what I was doing with it and decided to wait until I either learned how to make my sputtering, squealing, grinder of a sewing machine do free motion quilting OR until I saved the pennies to get a new machine.
Then I got a new machine for Christmas 2011. YAY. I am now free motion capable, albeit somewhat challenged by the fact that I haven't done enough of it to call myself anything other than a novice. I really need to make myself keep a constant speed/motion ratio. If I don't, the tension gets a little *ahem* interesting...
However, this weekend, after unpicking every last stitch that I had already quilted (luckily less than a few blocks worth), I sat down and quilted it with my beloved Oscar. Friday was a one-game hockey night so I had some free (motion) time.
|These pictures did NOT turn out great. I was in too big a hurry and borrowing a babysitting grandma... :-)|
In semi-related news, I haven't seen my quilt labels since last December. It's distressing me greatly and I fear they may have accidentally been tossed in the Christmas chaos. I'm hoping for just lost instead of tossed, and soon to be found, but I've been looking for two months... :-(
Scrappy afghan is also nearing completion. All panels knit. Ends woven in. Seaming and felting (though maybe just fulling) to come.
Sourdough: There will be an update. Oh, there will be. In saga form.