Monday, January 30, 2012

Progress

I've made a few blocks so far for my "homework" quilt.  I've imposed a few rules for myself - including an indictment against buying fabric (until it comes sandwich time...) and trying new techniques.  I've made quite a few improvised blocks, sewing things together at random, which I'll save for another post, but I've also dabbled in some traditional ones.

Including some where you'll think I've gone insane.

Yep.
Made with triangular trimmings from the Seville quilt I made for Mum this Christmas...

But it became this. Tiny, but mighty!  The trick to getting it to lay flat.  STEAM.  Much steam.

And there's this one.
Made with the trimmings from binding mitres.  I have no idea why I kept them...

And I tried out my fancy curve sewing foot.  This one turned out great.  Subsequent ones did not and I will need to do far more practice...
Curves scare the bejeezus out of me.  If I offended you with "bejeezus", be glad you didn't hear what I said when sewing the curves....

And then, I played around with the embroidery stitches.  I figured the root of my philosophy on education needs to be in there somewhere.  This phrase is something my mother said years ago when Seester and I were discussing the variances in curfew and rules for each of us.
Bad lighting + Steam iron brown gunk + water to wash out brown gunk = crappy photo.

For every student, the teacher they need.  A little cheesy?  Possibly.  Do I believe it like the naive idealist I am? Absolutely.

Anyone have any ideas on other blocks and techniques I should try?  This is about "learning", after all... :-)  Thank you to those folks who volunteered their time and talents for this project - I'm so thrilled to have you as a part of it!  More progress to come...

11 comments:

  1. the tiny blocks are amazing! And I love the embroidery quote. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, gorgeous and incredibly tiny patchwork! I am blown away by the pink and blue one. Happy to have found your blog and I'm following you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, I LOVE the teeny tiny blocks. Especially those little pinwheels. And yes, I agree with teaginny, I love that quote. It is SO TRUE, if I think of my two kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. You are clearly insane! That's truely mind bogglingly tiny piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ack! i LOVE your tiny piecing. so charming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. Man. Those. Tiny. Blocks!
    I am working on getting my fabric to you.....I can't wait to see the progress pics! What an interesting project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those tiny blocks! WOW! Insane, but beautiful. Crazy-beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Binding Miters one... I want that. Framed and hanging in my office! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's coming along! I can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that teeny, tiny work! My mother-in-law has done some very teensy quilting, and it's my favorite. I may have stolen a little pillow with the tiniest quilt pieces ever. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Teeny work. Great quote! I hesitate on saving all those cut-off triangle corners. Your post clearly shows that they have great promise. Probably just like some of your students...

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love comments? I appreciate every single one and try to reply to each. Unless you're a no-reply commenter. Then I can't. And I have a little sad moment. Like a dropped ice cream cone. So if you're a no-reply commenter and have a question, check the comment thread and I'll try to reply there. :-)