1) I've been knitting socks like a madwoman over the summer and into the fall. Seriously. There's been lots of knitting. Two shawls as well. And then a little project to deal with leftover sock yarn.
Pattern info clockwise from top left here, here, here, here and here. Warning about the Honeycomb socks and the Skew socks - they are not really great for folks with high arches/insteps. The reason that super-cool diagonal is not gracing my foot is because they don't fit my arch and I can't get them on. Luckily, they fit a friend!
Why all the socks? Well, the company that makes the only store-bought socks I really liked manufactured items in the factory that collapsed this spring in Bangladesh and then refused to sign any legally binding agreement that would help to make conditions better and safer the people who work there. Several petitions and activist emails later, they still haven't signed and I'm resigned to make my own socks until I can find an ethical mass-made version.
2) Cindy - yes, THAT Cindy! :-) sent me a great little bag for my sock-knitting shenanigans. Look at the perfect fabric she chose... Look at the measuring tape drawstrings!! I heart her.
The socks in the bag are Tintern Abbey, but I'll say this about them, I haven't quite perfected the Sherman Toe/Heel and thankfully am past the heels though I had to reknit them many, many times... Lots of Grr-argh going on. But it should be smooth sailing from here!
3) Sometimes in life, one's project-loving father retires after 46 years and begins to spend his days in the same house where one's mother has been spending her own relaxed retirement. First - there's fancy party where one wears a dress and one does the "Snap the picture, already" fashion pose...
To keep him from knocking down walls, taking apart engines and calling out very early in the morning for people to get a move on and help out, or to stop one's mother from demanding he get a part time job because he's driving her crazy...., one comes up with a project and begs for a much needed yarn swift!!
Tada!! Totally collapsible, works like a charm, and no more using my feet and knees!
|I use a bag clip to wind center-pull balls - works pretty slick and keeps the tail out of the way!|
But no worries - there is no trouble on the M household front. My parents are still incredibly cute. But now they can have date night any night of the week. They're schmoopy like that.
4) And another reason for all the knitting is the most wonderful time of the year is upon us again - hockey season!! :-) I knit while watching to keep from getting too yell-y/bouncy....
Surprisingly, I had never been to a live NHL game before. I know that an exhibition game in town here doesn't exactly count but I got tickets for my birthday to the Jets/Bruins game here in Sept. It was awesome. The Bruins brought all their stars. We had great seats. B's 5-0.
|I'm on the home blue line - someone pinch me!!|
5) And finally, it's really disappointing when the CBC can't spell in the Hockey Night in Canada app....
What's a transcation??
Linking up with the Randomeers at LiveAColorfulLife! Thanks for hosting, Cindy!