Okay, so no sewing again this week. But I still have a thing or two to share from my rampage sewing weekend last month.
|Dresden wedges before sewing. I take a photo to check placement as I go. Yes, the lighting is abysmal...|
I started with strips in various widths, sewing random strips together. Then I cut those strips in various widths, and started making blocks. Once I had most of the pieces in large chunks, I started fitting them all together and using leftovers to fill the gaps. I placed them around a plain square where I thought my dresden would go. Who wants to cover up all that piecing?? Not this guy, though she occasionally rethinks her choices.*
Eventually, I had a squarish wall-hanging-sized top and I appliquéd my sun to it. This is how it looks so far.
I am planning to free-quilt the heck out of it with all kinds of thread and embellishment so that the sun doesn't look like a bunch of solids sewn together all crazy-like. It's going to take some nerve-building to get to that point. I'm a little nervous that what I envision in my head won't translate to the fabric. You probably won't see it for a while but I thought I'd share it anyway. Another work in progress for the pile, which I'm totally going to tackle. And soon. Just not today. :-)
Have a great weekend!
*I almost wish I'd done it all in batiks but I'm not about to tear it apart. Plus, sometimes the all-batik quilts get a patina of boring over them. Not all, but some. I think it's a "too much of a good thing" issue. They are lovely to sew with though, even if the odd batik causes me to wrinkle my nose with an 'ew' for colour and pattern..