Then I saw THIS ONE. And I fell in love with it. So then I had to make one. I wanted scraps, I wanted two sizes of webs, and I wanted the background to change somehow.
Remember this pencil sketch from last spring? Of course not. I haven't mentioned it since then. Why would you? :-) I did background calculations, I cut lopsided foundations kites and paper triangles and spent an entire evening last fall gluing them together.
The lighter greenish grey is French General "Rouenneries" from my stash which it almost pained me to cut into but that's what it's for, right? The darker colour is actually an old pair of dress pants that belonged to my dad. Now, it's kites. How it's going to wash? No idea... The cream is a muslin of unremembered origin.
That was a year ago. As it was on my to-do list for the summer, I felt it nagging at me that I hadn't touched it and I was heading into one of the busiest periods of my life and leaving it again. Alone. Neglected. So on Saturday night, I took to the machine! (Exciting Saturday, I know...) I haven't really done much sewing this summer. When your sewing room is the living room coffee table, and weekends are family time, it's tough to negotiate... Knitting is quieter and far more social so I've knit my hands into gnarled knots instead.
Sew. Iron. Sew. Iron. Trim. And there you have it - thirty triangles tackled. And it felt wonderful!
Stay tuned for when I sew more triangles (probably summer of 2012 with a completion date sometime before Buck Rodgers starts exploring the stars... I hope.)
I also finished the toque this weekend but haven't got the pictures yet. It's difficult to photograph tricky colours. Especially on your own head. With an iPhone. So I asked a friend. Photos forthcoming. :-)